The following general requirements must be met when operating in the open category
- The maximum attainable height above ground or sea level must not exceed 120 metres
- The operation must be carried out on visual line of sight (VLOS)
- During flight, the unmanned aircraft shall not carry dangerous goods or drop items
- Unmanned aircraft systems must be kept at a safe distance from people and they must not be flown above assemblies of people
- The operation must take the prohibited, restricted and danger areas of aviation as well as UAS geographical zones into account
- More information on registration
- C-Class marking (notice exceptions):
Operation sub-categories A1–A3
UAS operations in the ‘open’ category shall be divided into three sub-categories: A1–A3. You can find further information on the rules of each sub-category, boundary conditions and restrictions under the headings below.
If the operation cannot be performed in accordance with the terms specified above, the operation requires a separate authorisation. Click the link below to find instructions on how to apply for an operational authorisation for ‘specific’ category operation.